Let's take a look at how to automatically create leads/contacts when an inbound message is received from an unknown number...
There are two ways to utilise the SMS feature in Zoho CRM:
- Outbound communications - this is where you initiate opt-in compliant SMS communications from the CRM using your existing leads and contacts.
- Inbound communications - this is where your phone number is listed in a directory or on a website and you've invited people to text you with enquiries.
When your lead and contact records are up to date with the relevant information, managing your SMS communications becomes really straightforward because you'll always know which of your contacts is texting you and why.
So what happens when an inbound SMS enquiry comes in and you don't already have the sender's details in your database? Well, there's a setting you can enable that will automatically create and add a new lead or contact if we can't match the sender's phone number with an existing contact in your CRM. Now all of your new inbound leads and enquiries will be saved and accessible so nothing slips through the cracks.
1. Start in the Zoho CRM, and in the menu ribbon at the top, find the Settings cog icon in the top right and click it:
2. Look for the Marketplace tile and click on All:
3. In the next screen click on the Installed tab, and under SMS for Zoho CRM click on Configure:
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Advanced Settings:
5. Scroll through the advanced settings and look for Create leads/contacts when an inbound message is received from an unknown number, and from the dropdown box you can choose to either automatically Create a Lead or Create a contact when a message is received from an unknown number:
Pro Tip: to help you keep your contact database organised and accurate, we recommend selecting the Create a Lead option. That way your new enquiries/leads can be properly followed-up, and added to the correct contact groups for more effective future communications.
6. Scroll to the bottom and click Save.
You can follow these steps again at any time to change this setting on your account if you need to.