If you want to send out a series of SMS messages over time relating to the same campaign (e.g. a series of reminders counting down to an event), you can create a Drip Campaign. Here's how to set it up:
1. Start in the Zoho CRM, and in the menu ribbon at the top, find the Settings cog icon in the top right and click it. Then look for the Automation tile and click on Workflow Rules:
2. Click on Create Rule over on the right:
- Module - use the dropdown box to select a Module where this workflow to take effect, for example Leads.
- Rule Name - set a Rule Name, for example SMS Drip Campaign.
- Description - this field it optional.
Then click on Next:
4. Choose when you want to execute the rule, for this example we'll click On a record action, and we're going to choose Edit. Then we're going to click Specific fields(s) gets modified and set a record action on editing by selecting Lead Source is modified to any value.
Then click on Next:
5. Now you need to decide if you want to include any Conditions to the workflow. In this example we've selected Leads matching certain conditions and chosen to run multiple rules to run together:
Lead source is Web Research
Number Inbound Smooth Messenger = 0
Number Inbound Smooth Messenger is Empty
Then click Next:
6. After you've set the Conditions and clicked Next, Instant Actions will appear underneath, click it and select Create Record from the dropdown:
7. When the Create Record window pops up, use the dropdown menu to find and select Smooth Messages:
8. Now the fun begins! You can start building your SMS workflow:
- 1) Message Name - we've called our message 1st SMS Drip Campaign to and have used the # to insert merge field to add the Lead Name. This'll be really helpful when we're running reports on messaging activity as this will help us identify who is being sent which automated message.
- 2) Message Owner - use the dropdown box to select Reference.
- 3) Lead Owner - when you click in the neighbouring field you'll have the option to assign a lead owner. This means that the assigned owner of the lead will be notified of any message activity, for example when a reply is received.
- 4) Plus Symbol - to add additional rule fields to configure, just click on any of the plus symbols. If you accidentally add too many, you can use the minus symbol to remove them.
- 5) To - use the dropdown arrow to select To, and select Leads Mobile in the neighbouring field. This is useful if the lead's contact information includes additional phone numbers, for example a land line.
- 6) Message - here is where you create your message. Don't forget, you can use the # to insert merge field and personalise your message.
- 7) From number - if you're using multiple from numbers, you can specify which one you want to use for this SMS, for example you may have a number allocated to marketing and they may be the best point of contact for customer engagement.
- 8) Lead Name - use the dropdown arrow to select Lead Name, and select Current Record in the neighbouring field.
- 9) Trigger Send via Workflow - for the last rule, use the dropdown arrow to select Trigger Send via Workflow, and make sure you check the box or the workflow wont send properly.
- 10) Don't forget to click Save!
9. To turn this workflow into a Drip Campaign, you will need to create a Scheduled Action alongside your Instant Action as a follow up. You can choose how many Hours, Days, or Minutes after the initial action you would like to execute your scheduled action. Once you've set the Rule Trigger Time, click Next:
10. After you've set your Rule Trigger Time, click on Action and select Create Record from the dropdown:
11. Here's where the Deja Vu kicks in... to create the record for the Scheduled Action, you just need to follow the same steps you did when creating the Instant Action back at Step 8, except this time we're going to change the Message Name and Message Content:
12. Now that you have created the first Scheduled Action, you need to Add New Scheduled Action:
13. Now we lather, rinse, repeat:
- Repeat Step 9 and set the Rule Trigger Time. Then;
- Repeat Step 10 and click Action and Create Rule. Now;
- Repeat Step 8, but we want to change the Message Name and Message Content again:
14. We now have three actions in place:
- A) Instant Action - the 1st of 3 messages, a week from the event.
- B) Scheduled Action - the 2nd of 3 messages, 3 days from the event.
- C) Scheduled Action - the 3rd of 3 messages, the day of the event.
Voila! You have now setup an automated drip messaging campaign with SMS for Zoho CRM.
15. Now you definitely don't want to lose all that hard work, so make sure you click Save in the bottom left corner! Lucky for you though, if you do accidentally try to navigate away from the page before you've clicked save, an alert will pop up to let you know - crisis averted!