Create your own workflow rules for automated SMS or system that delivers SMS automatically, just follow the steps below:
1. Start in the Zoho CRM, and in the menu ribbon at the top, find the Settings cog icon in the top right and click it. Then look for the Automation tile and click on Workflow Rules:
2. Click on Create Rule over on the right:
- Module - use the dropdown box to select a Module where this workflow to take effect, for example Leads.
- Rule Name - set a Rule Name, for example Welcome SMS.
- Description - this field it optional, but it will help other users understand what the rule is for so it's good to use it.
Then click on Next:
4. Choose when you want to execute the rule. In this example, we want to send an SMS whenever a lead is created, so we'll choose On a record action, and Create (i.e. when the record is created). We then click Next:
5. Now you need to decide if you want to include any Conditions to the workflow, for example, here we've selected Leads matching certain conditions and chosen to run the rule where the Lead Status is Not Contacted (this means that our SMS will only be sent to fresh, new leads who haven't received any communication from us yet).
Then click Next:
6. After you've set the Conditions and clicked Next, Instant Actions will appear underneath, click it and select Create Record from the dropdown:
7. When the Create Record window pops up, use the dropdown menu to find and select Smooth Messages:
8. Now the fun begins! You can start building your SMS workflow:
- 1) Message Name - we've called our message Welcome SMS to and have used the # to insert merge field to add the Lead Name. This'll be really helpful when we're running reports on messaging activity as this will help us identify who is being sent which automated message.
- 2) Message Owner - use the dropdown box to select Reference.
- 3) Lead Owner - when you click in the neighbouring field you'll have the option to assign a lead owner. This means that the assigned owner of the lead will be notified of any message activity, for example when a reply is received.
- 4) Plus Symbol - to add additional rule fields to configure, just click on any of the plus symbols. If you accidentally add too many, you can use the minus symbol to remove them.
- 5) To - use the dropdown arrow to select To, and select Leads Mobile in the neighbouring field. This is useful if the lead's contact information includes additional phone numbers, for example a land line.
- 6) Message - here is where you create your message. Don't forget, you can use the # to insert merge field and personalise your message.
- 7) From number - if you're using multiple from numbers, you can specify which one you want to use for this SMS, for example you may have a number allocated to sales and they may be the best point of contact for new leads.
- 8) Lead Name - use the dropdown arrow to select Lead Name, and select Current Record in the neighbouring field.
- 9) MMS Content - if you want to include an image in your message (MMS), use the dropdown box to select MMS Content, and copy and paste the image URL in the neighbouring field. If you're not including an image, just skip this step and delete the extra rule field using the minus symbol.
- 10) Trigger Send via Workflow - for the last rule, use the dropdown arrow to select Trigger Send via Workflow, and make sure you check the box or the workflow wont send properly.
- 11) Don't forget to click Save!
9. You also have the option to create a Scheduled Action alongside your Instant Action - for example you might use this to trigger a follow-up message to send to the lead a day after the first message was sent. You can choose how many Hours, Days, or Minutes after the initial action you would like to execute your scheduled action. Once you've set the Rule Trigger Time, click Next:
It's important to note that the scheduled action will only trigger if Condition 1 remains true, or the same. If we use our example above, the condition is "Lead Status is Not Contacted" which means that when a new lead comes in, the workflow will automatically send them a Welcome SMS that says someone will be in contact shortly. Now if the lead isn't contacted within 1 day, the scheduled action (our follow up message) will automatically send. If the lead is contacted and their status is updated, the scheduled action will not send.
10. After you've set your Rule Trigger Time, click on Action and select Create Record from the dropdown:
11. Here's where the Deja Vu kicks in... to create the record for the Scheduled Action, you just need to follow the same steps you did when creating the Instant Action back at Step 8, with one main difference: the content of your message. Given it's a follow up message, it's probably worthwhile to write something different to your welcome message because this will make the experience more personal for the recipient.
12. To finish setting up your workflow, make sure you click Save in the bottom left corner so you don't lose all that hard work! But don't worry, if you do try to navigate away from the page before you've clicked save, an alert will pop up to let you know - phew!