It's good practice to communicate with your new customers early in their journey, as it creates positive engagement and builds trust, familiarity and loyalty.
Adding customer tags
When a new customer is created in your store, you can assign tags to their profile to assist with managing the customer experience and communications. Primarily, you should use pop-up forms to add tags to new customers as it is automated, and far more efficient. To learn how to do this, read this article.
You can also assign tags manually to new customer profiles in the event that you did not do so via a pop-up form:
How to create a New Customer automation
1. Go to the MessageMedia: SMS Marketing app
2. Click on Subscriber SMS
3. Then New subscriber SMS
4. Give your automation a name.
5. If you are in a region or country that requires double opt-in confirmation, tick the box (see double opt-in confirmation later in this article).
6. Choose the customer tag which should indicate that the customer should receive this SMS.
7. Write your message - you can use templates, personalised fields such as first name, and include discount codes if you have any created.
8. Either save your automation as a draft, or click Publish to activate it.
Double Opt-In Confirmation
Some regions or countries require double confirmation of the customer's willingness to receive messages from you (if you are unsure if this applies to you, check your local legislation around SMS marketing).
To create a double opt-in confirmation, tick the box as shown and make any changes to the tags, keywords and message you require:
Now, instead of one welcome message going out to new customers with a specific tag, two messages can go out. The first asks the recipient to confirm their opt-in with a keyword response. If the keyword response doesn’t occur, the customer will be tagged with whatever the user chooses to identify them as a "non-opted-in" customer. If the recipient does confirm with a keyword response, the second message will go out welcoming them.