Accessing the App and getting started
Once you have added the MessageMedia App to your Shopify account, you should see it appear in the App list:
Simply click the link to access the App
The first time you open the MessageMedia App, you will see three “Calls to Action” in the Dashboard:
- Recover Abandoned Carts
- Create a pop-up form
- Send a Campaign
Create an Abandoned Cart Recovery Message in the MessageMedia App
Abandoned Cart notifications are sent as an SMS to customers who place items from your store in their cart but do not complete the checkout process before leaving the site, or within a specific time frame – after which you could assume they have abandoned their cart. The aim of this notification is to remind customers they have items in their cart and to encourage them to complete their purchase.
Access this function by clicking on Start recovering carts in the Dashboard:
Alternatively, you can click on “Abandoned cart recovery” in the left-hand menu
Then be taken to the Abandoned cart recovery dashboard where you will see the following:
- The amount of potential revenue ($) currently sitting in abandoned customer carts
- The amount of sales ($) that have been generated as a result of customers returning to abandoned carts and completing purchases
- The total cost of the SMS messages sent as part of your abandoned cart recovery campaign
- A list of pre-populated templates that you can use for your messages
- The stats relating to each message:
- Sent - the number of messages sent (accompanied by the cost of those messages)
- Sessions - the number of times a customer has tapped on the weblink in your message and returned to your store (accompanied by a percentage of sessions vs. messages)
- Orders - the number of purchases made by customers as a result of this campaign (accompanied by a percentage of purchases vs. messages)
- Sales - the value of completed transactions as a result of customers visiting your store from the weblink contained in your message
- ROI (Return on Investment) - the ratio of dollars spent on each campaign versus dollars made from sales, shown as a percentage (e.g. $10 spent vs. $100 earned would be 1000% ROI)
- Status - whether your campaign is Active or Inactive
To create a new notification, click on New Notification in the top right:
- Give your notification a name for easy future reference (this makes tracking performance in the dashboard much easier)
- You need to decide on the delay between the customer adding the last item to their cart and this message being sent. You can choose a delay to be either a number of hours, or a number of days.
- If you have any existing discount codes set up, you can select one here by clicking in the discount field and selecting the relevant code from the resulting list. If you add a discount code here, it will automatically apply to the customer's cart.
- Write the content of the message you want to send customers. You can add personalisation to your message (including the URL to their cart and the discount code). If you manually add the discount code instead of in the field above, the customer will need to enter this during checkout. The phone preview will update in real time as you write your message.
- When you are happy with your message and settings, you can either save this message as a draft, or publish right away.
Once you have saved or published your message, it will appear in the dashboard along with the other templates. New inactive messages will appear at the bottom of the list, and will move to the top when published:
Creating a form in the MessageMedia App
Forms are used to display special offers to customers when they land on your site. Each form contains information about the offer, as well as a “Call to Action” (e.g. signing up to a mailing list). Forms are customisable in terms of the colour scheme, imagery, and content.
If you are accessing the App for the first time, you can access this function by clicking on “Create Form” in the Dashboard:
You will then be taken the form design wizard, containing three sections:
Designing your Form
Click on the Design Tab to access the Design editor, and complete the steps:
1. Choose your background colour by clicking in the box under "Background colour" and then selecting your preference from the colour palette:
2. Select a feature image to appear at the top of the form by clicking on the "Add Image" button and selecting a file from your device (optimal size for feature images is 100px high by 500px wide):
3. Optional - Choose a "Hero" image - this is a vertical image that will appear up the side of your form (optional size for hero image is 900px high by 600px wide):
4. Optional - choose a mobile background image. This is an image that will form the background of your form if someone is viewing it on a mobile (optional size for mobile background image is 900px high by 600px wide):
When adding a mobile background image, you should pay special attention to the way the image interacts with the colour of the text in the form. You may want to adjust the brightness and contrast of the image or you can adjust the text colour so that text stands out more clearly.
5. Choose your Heading Styles and Text Colours by repeating the same process as above: to choose colours, and choose the heading style (i.e. the font size) from the drop-down lists. The larger the number, the smaller the heading - e.g. Heading 1 is the largest heading text, while Heading 5 is the smallest:
4. Choose your Button colour and Button Text Colour using the same method as above
Customising your Form Content
Click on the “Content” Tab to access the content editor and complete the steps:
1. Enter your Heading Text and Subheading Text
2. Continue the process to enter your Button text
3. Enter your “Success” heading and subheading text
This is the notification that the customer will see when they successfully complete the form that appears when they click the button in this form
Editing your Settings
Click on the “Settings” Tab to access the Settings editor
This is where you choose where to display your form. You can choose to show it on all pages in your shop, or specific pages.
This is the amount of time you want to elapse between your customers landing on your site and the form being presented to them. You can choose to have the form appear immediately, or you can set a delay (shown in seconds)
This is where you choose your audience in terms of their geographical location. If your offer is not dependant on location, you can choose “All Countries.” If your offer has a location restriction (e.g. “Free Shipping in Australia”) then you can choose the specific countries in which to show the form
4. Form Status
Here you can choose whether your form is to be published to your audience or to be saved as a draft
Once you are happy with your form, click “Save and activate”
Create a Campaign in the MessageMedia App
Campaigns are a great way to invite customers to visit your store for special offers, seasonal promotions, new inventory offering, and a lot more. You can schedule your campaign SMS messages to be sent at predetermined dates (e.g. seasonal promotions being sent at the start of each season) or to be sent immediately (e.g. if advertising new arrivals)
If you are accessing the App for the first time, you can access this function by clicking on “Create Campaign” in the Dashboard:
You'll be taken to the Campaign design wizard where you must complete the following steps:
- Give your Campaign a name for easy reference.
- Choose your audience from a list of options in the pop-out menu - new customers, returning customers, abandoned checkouts, email subscribers, or customers from Australia.
- Choose whether you want to send your campaign immediately, or schedule to send at a later date. You can choose a specific date and a time specific to the minute using the scheduling tool.
- If you have a discount code set up on your profile that you want to add to this campaign, enter it here. You can create a new discount by clicking “Create new discount” at the bottom - this will take you to the Shopify discount tool.
- Write the message you want to send to your customers about your campaign. You can add variable fields based on the columns in your customer list (e.g. first name, location etc.).
- The phone preview will update as you write your message
- Once you have finished setting up your campaign, click "Review & Send”
Once you have reviewed your campaign and are happy, click “Send” - or, to return to the campaign editor, click "Edit":