Email to SMS allows you to send and receive SMS messages direct from/to your email. You can send to either individual numbers and contacts, or contact groups.
To send a message via Email to SMS you must have either:
- Your email address registered against a single Hub account.
- Your company domain registered against a single Hub account.
Because the Email to SMS feature is a 1:1 relationship between an email address and the Hub, it's important that you only register an email address with one account. When a message passes through our messaging gateway, the Hub needs to match it back to the specific account that sent it. If the email address is registered in multiple accounts, the Hub can't accurately send/report/track the message.
For instructions on how to register an email address or domain, read this article.
Sending to an Individual Number
1. Go to your email client e.g. Outlook
2. Compose a new email
3. Enter the SMS Mobile number, followed by @e2s.messagemedia.com (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
4. Add the content of your message to either the subject and/or body of the email
5. Replies to the SMS will appear in both the email client inbox and also the Hub inbox
Sending to a Contact Group
When creating a new contact group, you have the option to assign an email to SMS alias:
In this example, you can send an SMS to this contact group by addressing your message to "email@example.com"
You can see the Email to SMS address for each contact group in the contact groups list (under Contacts > Contact groups) under the Group Email header:
If the "Group Email" field is blank, simply click on the three dots to the right of the group listing, select Edit, and add an alias.
Things to Remember
Why is my Email to SMS message incomplete?
If you’re sending messages using Email to SMS, there may be situations where an Email to SMS message appears in someone’s phone with the last bit of text missing.
The reason behind this is your Email to SMS Message Limit. You’re able to set a messaging limit on Email to SMS based on the max number of message parts of which you want your message to comprise, in order to manage messaging costs and reduce bill shock (to learn about message parts and how this affects your bill, read this article).
There are two ways you can ensure that your Email to SMS messages don’t get cut off mid-message:
- Increase the Message Limit - If you log into the Web Portal and go to the Email to SMS item (on the Settings tab in Numbers and Channels under the Settings item in the main menu), you’ll be able to edit your settings and increase the limit of your Email to SMS messages. This means that your messages won’t be cut off; however, it’s important to remember that you’ll be charged per message part - so make sure your messages only include important information, otherwise you may have an unnecessarily high bill.
- Make your messages shorter - Knowing your message limit and keeping your messages below this limit will mean that your message content will not get cut off halfway through. If you need to send an important message that’s longer than your limit, however, be aware that you’ll need to send this as two messages as the system will cut the message off at the limit.