In this article:
- Overview of the Link Preview feature and navigation
- How to include a visual preview of a web link in an SMS message using the Link Preview feature
- Important things to remember about Link Previews
Link Previews (also known as "Short Trackable Links") is a feature that automatically shortens any URL to just 22 characters. The functionality allows you to set the title and image of what will display on a handset when your SMS is delivered. This does work differently for each type of device, depending on whether it is on iOS or Android as their operating system.
To confirm if this feature is enabled on your account, please visit Account > Account Settings. Under Short trackable links, you will be able to see whether it is Enabled or Disabled.
If not enabled and you wish to use it, please reach out to our Account Management team who can assist you with this on 1800 155 228 or email@example.com
How to Use Link Previews:
Prepare sending a message as you normally would, adding the contacts and your message content. If you are unsure of how to do this you can check our Sending Messages article.
Don’t add your link in the message content box. You will configure your Link Preview in the next step.
Once the contacts and content have been added, tick the Include a link preview option in the Link Previews box:
You are required to then enter the information in all the fields that show once that box is ticked ticked:
- Link Title – This is the title that will show for the Link Preview. This could be a company name, website name etc.
- Link address (URL) – The actual URL that you will want shortened and where once clicked, the recipient will be directed to.
- Media– The image that will display in the Link Preview. This must be less than 300kb. We recommend the image size be 900px by 474px in .png, .jpg or .gif format
- You do not have to include media - the message will still send but with just the shortened link
Once you have entered these details, you can send the message! An example of what this looks like is below.
If you do not add media, the message displays like this:
Important things to know:
Link Previews act differently depending on the devices operating system, whether it is iOS or Android. For both devices, the Link Preview will only display if the following requirements are met:
- Recipients have the “Sender Number” saved in their contacts.
- The “Sender Number” must be numerical, it cannot be an Alpha Tag (e.g +61 491 573 087 instead of “MsgMedia”)
- If you add an additional link to your message content when the "Include a link preview" box is ticked, you will see a warning message telling you that the link preview will not display properly
- Links in the link preview field must start with http:// or https://
- You will need a dedicated number or familiar sender setup on your account.
- iOS – Active by default on the handset, if the number is saved in the contacts
- Android – Needs to be enabled on the handset itself. To do this, the recipient must navigate to Settings > Google > Data & Messaging and then select App Preview Messages as on:
Not what you're after? Try these articles...
- Sending a mobile landing page
- Reporting on broadcasts when you include a short trackable link or mobile landing page